Sunday, December 27, 2009


I talk to Pakistanis quite a lot. And I like it. I met all kind of Pakistanis, from different backgrounds, social levels, different mindsets, less and more religious, raised abroad but building career in Pakistan and etc.
While talking to them I truly see how patriotic they are towards their culture, religion and history. But when I go out on the street, it is hard to believe they are talking about the same country which I see on the way to office, coming back from local shop, etc.
Honestly speaking, I'm very sad seeing how Pakistanis polluting their country, how easy is to throw paper from the chocolate bar or out of the car window on the street... The lights on the main street are on (well, most of the time) only 30-40 % capacity.
Every second Pakistani has something negative about their government (this is something not very different from Lithuania). All know they are corrupted and the president is the definition of corruption.

Some of these things are really hard to fix or influence by a regular citizen... But the most painful moment for me is to see how they rubbishing their country. I keep asking them: why did you throw that paper on the ground? Do you want your kids running on this street and get disease? Or will you lock your family from outside world? You don't have enough of drinking water! But still you polluting environment... Gosh… I'm running out of arguments to make them open their eyes.
Well, let it be. It is not my county. After many years they will be coming to my country to enjoy balanced nature and urbanism life style. Countdown begins...

P.S. Karachi was designed for 1 million people, then re-planned in the 1980s for 6 million; later the population reached 14 million and still growing. The city generates 8000 tons of garbage each day; only 40 per cent of which is collected. Eighty-six percent of the city's sewage goes untreated, fouling natural drainage creeks and rivers. Air pollution in Karachi and other Pakistani cities is estimated to be 20 times higher than the maximum levels recommended by the World Health Organisation; that is just the beginning... [www.europaworld.org]

No comments: