Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Highway through the hell

Finally after sleepless night my father came to Vilnius to pick me to the airport and say goodbye as we not going to see each other for the rest of one year.
All funny things started at 4:00 am on 26th of October. As you might know at this time we have to turn one hour back. Confusion started before actually leaving my place. At the end everything came out that I had more time then I needed to be in airport. But in other hand – my family had a chance to stay with me little bit longer. I, meanwhile, was thinking oppositely – the faster changes will come, the faster everybody will adapt. So, as you can understand I supposed to change time zones several time during 24h: Lithuania, Copenhagen, next day from Copenhagen to Istanbul and when – to Karachi.
In the beginning everything went quite smoothly. I was picked up in Copenhagen airport by MCVPER Morten. When I was contacting him by e-mail, I didn’t really know who he is. As soon as I saw him I remembered him from ENERGY and SYNERGY conferences in Latvia and Lithuania (if I’m not mistaken). So it was nice surprise. He also awarded me with very delicious breakfast at his place. Beer was included as well (at 9 am). According Morten is ‘never to early for beer’ – and I totally support this idea. ‘Well, the last drop of European beer’ I told to myself.
After I studied guidelines how to get to the Pakistan embassy and from embassy to the airport I left Mortens’ place (which is shared with another MC guy Prateek from India). I managed to get to the final train station but the problem came when I needed to find a right street. According Morten it should be easy: when you get out of the train, turn to the left side, walk shortly till the small street, when turn to the left (again) and third road on your left should be the right street you need. Hmmm. I’m at the station, but where to go?! As I had time, I decided not to ask for a help from strangers passing me by and to manage by myself. I tried to go to one side of the station – nothing. When I went to another side of station – not even close the street which I need. I even had small part of map printed from internet and as I could read other streets names around but the streets I saw was for sure none of them. I still didn’t panic as I had same extra time before embassy opens. I started to ask for direction to strangers who were passing me. I asked three different people and all of them said differently. That moment I realized that I might be lost. For the last try I decided to go into the nearest shop and ask there. The old lady who hardly could speak English, but at least understood what I was saying started to analyze my map. After while she gave up and brought a bigger one. Eureka! We found a place where I need to get. But it was too far to go by foots and especially with big bag on wheels and one on my back. So I took a train for one more stop. Finally I was on the right direction. I managed to come to the embassy just before they opened. I was naïve as I believed that my visa is waiting for me and I need just to pay. I came to the council and gave a later which I received from Pakistan which states that I got multiply business visa for one year.
- ‘Ok. Now you have to fill in the application form, attach your photo and your passport’, said council…
- ‘What?! I don’t have photo! Nobody told me to bring it hear’ – I was totally shocked.
- ‘This is a normal procedure’ – continued in the monotonic voice council.
- ‘So how long it will take to get visa..?’ – More and more started to panic.
- ‘Up to ten days…’
I lost my voice… tried to say something and argue but he simply called next visitor… Luckily I had a number of MC in Pakistan. I called to Pakistan MCVPX, explain the situation and she started to work on my visa. Problem was that nobody from Pakistan embassy didn’t want to pick the phone. I even tried to give my mobile phone to the council through window but he totally ignored me.
Finally, after some 15 min when someone from Pakistan board or migration department called to Pakistan embassy in Copenhagen, they took me to second floor to the main guy in the embassy (as I thought so). He ensured me that everything will be ok, and I will manage to catch my flight which supposed to be in 1.5 h. But before I get visa I need to bring my photo. I got scared that I will miss my flight and I will stuck in Copenhagen for hell knows how long as I didn’t have more money to buy new tickets. So I had to run to the train station where was a photo machine. Guess if I had any Danish krone? No! So I started running all around looking where can I exchange euros. I found one place, but the guy worried me that exchange rate is really bad – fuck it. I need 60 krones right now! After running to one and other side I was completely wet (the rain helped in it a lot as well).
More over, council asked me to pay. It supposed to be easy thing as they don’t accept cash; I took my debit card – not valid. Credit card – the same. Fuck. I was told that 5 min walk from here is a bank and can make a transfer. I thought I’m going to die because of running with my backpack (which is ~7.5 kg). When they got my photo and receipt from the bank, I had to wait until everybody will sign and will issue my visa. But before I got my passport into my hand, the main council wanted to know what is AIESEC and if he can send some Pakistani people to Lithuania to work in textile field or in IT. I wanted to shoot myself…
I was happy getting back my passport with Pakistan visa (even for three months instead of one year long) I was running with all my bags to train station. As soon as I got in the train which took me to the airport I could relax, because the rest time depends not on me.
Of course I was late to my flight. Luckily Turkish airlines are very friendly and they changed my tickets for free. Now I have two more days in Copenhagen till my flight. Thanks to Morten I have where to stay.
I’m not in Pakistan yet, but so much stress in one day! The whole year in Pakistan is going to be fun.

4 comments:

deny said...

ou my this is not nice story, but from the other hand I can tell you welcome in foreigners life and expect even more...but no worries there are always nice people around you who would help you and actually those are the moments you will remember:).
So did you get 1 year or 3 months visa? I hope you will get the correct one, cross fingers for you.

Andrius LC Siauliai said...

Unfortunately, I got only 3 months visa. We will try to arrange my visa for the rest of my stay...

Rytis said...

Embassy + council + visa = big trouble :)

Best luck with that!

Are you already in Pakistan?

Audra said...

FUCK! : nieko sau:) kazkodel si istorija panasi i mano istorija kai bandziau gauti UAE visa... tik as turejau daug daugiau laiko :):):)